Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Counting my Blessings

Daniel received an e-mail at 4:55 pm yesterday afternoon that Schmidt Builders Supply, Inc. would lock their doors at 5:00 pm "for good". Obviously we knew the housing/building market was down, that the overall economy is awful, and that Schmidt as a company was struggling but we never imagined that the entire operation would come to a halt and that ALL of the company assets would be ceased in a matter of minutes.

Daniel was allowed to take his personal belongings and get out. He was left to face SO MANY customers and vendors asking what in the hell just happened, when Daniel himself didn’t have a whole lot of information or the desire to explain to everyone what a shitty deal it turned out to be all around.

Fortunately our situation is much lighter than others. We have no children to provide for, Daniel’s mortgage payment isn’t outrageous for us to try and cover (with possible help from Jake moving in soon), and we aren’t in any outstanding debt. My car buying process is being put to a complete stand-still but if that is the worst of our situation, I consider us VERY lucky.

We have so much to be thankful for in times like this – our families are so supportive and our friends go out of their way to make phone calls and offer help.

My objective in the next few days/weeks/months is to not only keep a smile on my face for Daniel’s sake, but to make sure I put at least one smile on his every day too! He absolutely is my whole world and I will do everything in my power to make sure he stays happy, healthy, and focused.

Wish us luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment